Home

Thursday, February 24, 2011

Stressing Over Distressing

My friend, Tosha, who happens to be our CCEE Stampers' hostess for the month of February, has given us some fabulous challenges this month.  I must admit that this last one had me stressing a bit.  Tosha challenged us to use distressing in our design.  I love the look of distressing that I have seen in many other talented stampers' designs, but it's not my usual style to incorporate into my card designs.  I guess it's just not something that comes to mind when I am creating.  However, that's why these are called challenges!  To make us stretch and go outside our comfort zones.  Right?  Right.

Well, as is quite typical with me, I probably went overboard with my distressing.  I distressed the edges of each piece of cardstock first with my cutter tool.  I then created creases in the background cardstock and sanded them just a little bit. Then I distressed by applying Distress Inks with my blending tool.  I even added a piece of swirls grungeboard that I distressed with my Distress Inks.  Of course, I had to stamp my Rubbernecker collage image before I started any distressing.  I put so much work into distressing various sized pieces of this beautiful designer paper (sorry, I don't know the name of it as I bought it at a garage sale last summer) and kept changing my course of action that I decided to also make a bookmark to go with the card.  See that designer paper as a back board for my photograph?  That is what the designer paper originally looked like before I started distressing it.




Before I applied the flowers, I sprayed Copper Glimmer Mist over the card and bookmark.

Here is a complete list of the supplies I used in my design:

Stamps:  Music Background (SKU 54350); Time Collage (SKU 1611SO) all by Rubbernecker
Cardstock:  Chocolate Chip, Very Vanilla, designer paper
Inks:  Memento Black, Vintage Photo and Tea Dye Distress Inks
Accessories:  Swirls Grungeboard, MFT Leaves Die-namics, copper brads and cord, peach flowers, Tim Holtz blending tool, eyelet, Cropadile, cutters' tool, Copper Glimmer mist

Please be sure to swing by the CCEE Stampers' blog and see what wonderful creations Cindy, Frances, Tosh, Shirley, and Joanne have created as well as get the details for playing along with us!


16 comments:

Tosha Leyendekker said...

Charlene, you should think of doing this more often, because you've created a work of art!! I adore all the fabulous details of your projects as well as all the distressing!! WOW!

Sabrina said...

You wait, distressing will grow on you :D. This is beautiful - anything with music will grab my eye straight away, and that swirl is the perfect accent. I think you certainly aced this challenge even if it was out of your normal zone.

StampOwl said...

wow this is gorgeous Charlene!

Pat (mspfd) said...

Wow, Charlene, you are a "pro" at distressing! No need to stress over distressing... Your card and book mark look fantastic. What a great design.

Judy Rozema said...

I LOVE distressing! How can you not be a pro, like Pat said? This is amazing! And besides, it is on the SCS Facebook page! GORGEOUS, Charlene!

Joanne (jojot) said...

my dear friend....I could come here and play around with words, say hello, and all those other things I usually do when I visit

HOWEVER....


I can't do that today....'cuz I am gazing in AWE at this collage beauty....every detail is so very perfectly formed and placed.....truly a dirty worthy creation

Cindy Haffner said...

BEAUTIFUL Charlene, this is a MASTERPIECE!!!

Denise Marzec said...

Wowwwwwwww! Stunning work, Charlene!

C said...

Wish being stressed resulted in something this gorgeous for me! Awesomely beautiful, Charlene. Love the antique vintage look you've created.

Stef Perry said...

You didn't go over the top...this is perfect!! Love everything about the card and the tag; hope you decide to continue trying this style!!

Mothermark said...

Is there such a thing as overboard? I think not. This is so very beautiful! You should do it more, it is elegant, feminine and absolutely stunting! Awesome Bertie!

Bev Gerard said...

Mercy, mercy, Ms. Charlene!
Looks to me like you have mastered distressing for sure! This is a gorgeous card!

~Bev

Julia Aston said...

Nice job on this set Charlene! I love having special bookmarks to use - wonderful distressing and sponging on this!

Traci M said...

I first saw this on the FB page also, and thought it was so amazingly good...now that I see the before piece of the paper, I am even more impressed at the process you took it through!! It is really pretty, very aged looking, but not overdone.

Chris Olsen, Glowbug said...

This is gorgeous Charlene!! I just love the vintage flair and your distressing. So many fab details and gorgeous layouts!
hugs,
Chris

atc said...

This is a WOW! card for me. Everything about it draws me in. I find myself marveling how you put each component and colors together.
Gorgeous, gorgeous card.